[ale] Fedora oddity

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 16:30:32 EDT 2011

why pay to watch the book form of "trickle-down" economics when you can
watch CSPAN for free? Besides, since I really doubt _anyone_ on ALE is
benefiting greatly from that process, watching a comedy helps get the mind
off of the acute awareness that 1. A.Rand was a truly bad writer (not even
considering the ideas she was trying to sell, just the writing), 2.
Hollywood has no stomach for doing a good job on anything that requires
thought about the message, 3. too many people who have both read and not
read that book are trying to tinker with things they don't understand for
all the wrong reasons and are totally ill-equipped to handle the
consequences of their actions.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well if you wait till Friday to start the process, you could go see Atlas
> Shrugged ;-)
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:
>
>>  I'm thinking (always dangerous, I know): I should shut down whatever
>> update process is trying to run,
>>
>> then run <yum clean all> followed by <yum upgrade> and go to a movie.
>>
>>  Sean
>>
>>  On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 03:33:08 pm Drifter wrote:
>>
>> > Jim,
>>
>> > I am continuing to scrounge around the dusty recesses of this box. My
>>
>> > problem is one program calls another -- and another -- ....
>>
>> > I >think< the operative program is /usr/share/PackageKit/pk-upgrade-
>>
>> > distro.sh
>>
>> > I have no idea what a DOTsh is, but that script points to a Fedora URL.
>>

>> > When I try to install the rpm I get this:
>>

>> > "Package preupgrade-1.1.9-1.fc13.noarch already installed and latest
>>
>> > version"
>>

>> > and I assume that is what is running. But on each iteration it
>>
>> > downloads about 30 MB of data and then barfs. If, indeed, it is
>>
>> > working as advertised and picking up where it left off, then it has
>>
>> > downloaded more than a half gig of data so far.
>>

>> > Sean

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.