[ale] Fedora oddity

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 15:41:56 EDT 2011

A .sh is a "shell script" (tyypically a bash script in Linux).

PackageKit is the tool/process that runs (often) and looks for needed
updates from repositories. It basically calls a yum process to update the
system.

Try just running 'yum upgrade' and see what happens.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

>  Jim,
>
> I am continuing to scrounge around the dusty recesses of this box. My
> problem is one program calls another -- and another -- ....
>
> I >think< the operative program is
> /usr/share/PackageKit/pk-upgrade-distro.sh
>
> I have no idea what a DOTsh is, but that script points to a Fedora URL.
>
> When I try to install the rpm I get this:
>
> "Package preupgrade-1.1.9-1.fc13.noarch already installed and latest
> version"
>
> and I assume that is what is running. But on each iteration it downloads
> about 30 MB of data and then barfs. If, indeed, it is working as advertised
> and picking up where it left off, then it has downloaded more than a half
> gig of data so far.
>
> Sean

>  On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 03:04:13 pm Jim Kinney wrote:
>
> > You need to install preupgrade.noarch.rpm. Try the manual route : yum
>
> > install preupgrade
>

> > You are getting the notices on an F13 box since F15 is nearing beta.
>

> > Note: I did an upgrade run from F13 -> F14 on several machines with no
>
> > troubles at all. But I only upgraded AFTER the next version had been
>
> > out for a few weeks and rpmfusion had caught up with several of my
>
> > requirements as well (nvidia, wireless nic, audacity-freeworld, etc).
>

> > On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org>
> wrote:
>
> > > Derek,
>

> > > If I were using a CD install, I wouldn't be getting random notices
>
> > > through the system.
>

> > > According to top, the program that is running is "preupgrade-gtk.",
>
> > > which seems to not exist on this box!?
>

> > > According to ps what is running is
>

> > > /usr/libexec/packagekitd
>

> > > Sean

> > > ---------

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.