[ale] [OT] Need to lock down a Windows laptop

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue Apr 12 11:57:25 EDT 2011

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:40:22 -0400 (EDT)
Tom Freeman <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:

> Must be a Mazda thing. I just had a flat almost three months ago on a
> Mazda 6. Never noticed a thing until the road noise gave it away.
> 'Course I had to call for assistance, as my leg hadn't healed from a
> pair of breaks sufficiently that I was all that confident of getting
> off the ground under my own power. That challenge is better now (not
> great, just better)

The lower the profile of the tire the harder it is to feel a flat or
low pressure.

The trend has been going towards lower profile tires for a long time
now, even on economy cars.  The rubber removed from the tire weighs a
bit less than the extra aluminum in the rim.

Reducing unsprung weight improves handling and fuel economy
significantly more than reducing weight anywhere else in the car.
Shorter sidewalls also help handing as well.  I would imagine they also
help fuel economy a bit, since the tire can't deform as much while it
is spinning.  I doubt it makes that big of a difference, though.

Pat