[ale] (OT) Fate of SCO

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Mon Apr 11 09:55:06 EDT 2011

> Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:14:05 -0400
> From: "Lightner, Jeff" <jlightner at water.com>
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts" <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] (OT) Fate of SCO

[...]
> Xenix was another SCO Product and we had about 12 sites running that on
> 286 machine.   Many of the tools one used in UNIX didn't exist for it.
> Those sites were actually backed up on 5 1/4" floppies.   (I think Xenix
> either originated at MS or for a while they had a version but never used
> that.)

Actually (IIRC), Xenix was itself originally/initially
a *Microsoft* product (and ran on 8086/80186 hardware),
and I "think" it might have even pre-dated MS-DOS itself.
Apparently they wanted to have "Unix" but escape the AT&T
trademark/license/royalty.  I remember (partially) supporting
& subsequently replacing a Tandy 6000 and a number of Altos
systems (all running Xenix) with i386 systems, running SCO
Xenix, in the early 90s.

SCO was "born(?)" around that time (as a MS spinoff?) and MS
spun off Xenix to them (or something like that).  Someone else
here and/or Wikipedia, etc., might have more accurate history
of those times.

Microport and Interactive Systems (who later were acquired or
changed to SunSoft) figure into that mix too...

-kc