[ale] question about bank

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Mon Apr 11 08:51:22 EDT 2011

+1 on Credit Union.
To really get the advantage of a credit union make sure you get to
know a handful of people who work there.  Go in during a non-busy time
and chat with everyone who is not busy.  Make sure they remember who
you are.

Once they know you, you will be able to do things over the phone that
normally would require going into the CU.

--
Michael Potter

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Geoffrey Myers
<lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Tim Watts wrote:
>> +1 on credit unions. They are accountable to no one other than their
>> members. Both of the ones I'm in have online banking; never had a
>> problem with their sites under Linux. There are plenty to chose from and
>> qualification often is a matter of living in certain zip codes or
>> working in certain industries.
>>
>> Given the behaviour of all the big banks before, during and after the
>> meltdown they deserve nobody's patronage. Dumped BofA during the
>> meltdown and haven't looked back. The only possible downside is fewer
>> free ATM choices.
>
> +2 on CUs. I belong to 4. Credit Union of Georgia and Georgia's own here
> in Georgia.  One in LA and one in NC.  The nice thing about belonging to
>  CUs in different states is, I can often get better deals depending on
> how that particular state's economy is.

>>> I would recommend NOT dealing with a monolithic monopolist
>>> institution like the ones you named (or like Balk of America).
>>> They are all corporapists and thieves who have actively
>>> destroyed our national economy.  Dealing with a small local
>>> bank or credit union is infinitely preferable to dealing with
>>> the mafioso criminals.
>>>

>>> These days any financial institution will support online banking.
>>> The smaller operations are much more likely to put customer
>>> needs in accessibility over insider corporapist arrangements to
>>> exclude competition for their monopolist  "partners".  On the
>>> same note, smaller institutions are less likely sell out your
>>> privacy - my own business account is with a local bank who's
>>> policy is to never share any of my information with any outsider
>>> and they do this without forcing me to demand that they behave
>>> ethically in respecting my privacy.  Smaller, local institutions
>>> are also more likely to be be contributing to the local economy
>>> instead of selling out our country to the Red State of Communist
>>> China or to the blood sucking fascist corporate welfare leeches
>>> of the Red States in the U.S.
>>>

>>> peace
>>> aaron