[ale] "Small Guy" redundant routing

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:16:08 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:

> Well, let me jump in and ask about what *I'm* trying to do...
>
> I am becoming close to being equipped to host Web sites out of my house,
> expecting to have multiple sites per IP (which I expect to have a small
> number of - maybe 2 or 4) provided by some sort of business broadband
> (probably Comcast, as my other copper is taken up by AT&T Uverse and
> POTS).  Given the current IPv4/IPv6 situation, how should that look?
> And I still need to come to understand the entire end-to-end chain from
> Internet DNS and domain name hosting all the way to Apache vhost config
> as to how aaa.com, bbb.org, ccc.com, etc. as browsed from the Series of
> Tubes can come to live on a single server.
>
> - Jeff
>
> ISP (Comcast Business Class is what I use now after dropping Speakeasy due
to bad business merger/buyout) will provide an end point device (usually a
small router). You will at least 1 static IP.

Your hosting machine will have that static IP as it's address.

Apache conf file will listen to that address (or *:80).

Virtual hosts in httpd.conf will look like:
NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
SuexecUserGroup "#503" "#502"
ServerName nationxskate.org
ServerAlias www.nationxskate.org
DocumentRoot /home/nationxskate/public_html
ErrorLog /home/nationxskate/logs/error_log
CustomLog /home/nationxskate/logs/access_log combined
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/nationxskate/cgi-bin/
<Directory /home/nationxskate/public_html>
Options Indexes IncludesNOEXEC FollowSymLinks
allow from all
AllowOverride All
</Directory>
<Directory /home/nationxskate/cgi-bin>
allow from all
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Then any web name of nationxscate.org will be delivered from
/home/nationxskate/public_html (son's skateboard site).

So domain name hosting points nationxskate.org to my IP (A name record with
C name pointing to same).

easy-peasy.
James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.