[ale] "Small Guy" redundant routing

Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Tue Apr 5 10:31:28 EDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:
> I just want multiple routes.  That's all.  I think that the short
> answer is that "I can't have them" without doing a lot of stuff to
> significantly increase the liklihood of bottlenecks in unexpected
> places...

Multiple routes is easy. Advertising IP space across two routes is
not. Like, WAY not easy. I'll bet it's ridiculously complex in
relation to what you're trying to do.

If you talk a bit more about what you're trying to do and why you want
multiple routes, how many IPs you want, stuff like that, we can prolly
come up with something else. Using short TTL DNS records is likely
going to be the best option, but it might be cheaper just to pay for
CoLo space for a server and let them handle network redundancy. Or
find someone you know who runs VMs in a CoLo and pay them to give you
something "trusted". Or join the future and run it all on IPv6.

-L