[ale] Using LiveUSB for Fedora

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 13:55:49 EDT 2010

  On 09/28/2010 11:18 AM, Chuck Payne wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Scott Castaline<skotchman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>   Looking for advice on utilizing a LiveUSB Flash Drive. I'll be going
>> to Fla. for several weeks and want to be able to use Fedora on a Windows
>> PC without actually installing it on the hard drive. I want to know the
>> following:
>>
>> 1. Recommended sizes of flash drive
>> 2. Will I be able to install additional software onto the drive?
>> 3. Can I change the LiveUser to another user?
>> 4. Can I copy files from my home system onto the LiveUSB?
>> 5. How changeable is the system once booted?
>>
>> I have installed Fedora 13 Live using liveusb-create onto a 2GB Flash
>> Drive and attempted to install GnuCash. It came up with a large list of
>> dependencies that needed to be also installed and then appeared to do
>> nothing, so I'm not sure if maybe the 2GB is not enough room or it just
>> can't do it. Any assistance would be appreciated. Also I plan on using
>> Fedora 13 x86_32 as I'm not sure what the system specs are that I'll be
>> using.
>>
> I would commend 8 Gig to 16 Gig flash drive. I used SUSE studio to
> create me a nice portable Gnome desktop. I know that Fedora recommends
> 1gig, but if you are going to use it a lot have a bit of space to grow
> on...
>
> http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/362829-weekend-project-create-a-live-usb-key-linux-distribution
> https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
>
> You might have these two links, but I have included them just to help.

Had the 2nd but not the first. I had even tried using UNetbootin, but it
seemed that no matter which menu option I used, it seemed to be trying
to install itself onto my hard drives.  As far as the size of flash goes
I was leaning towards 16GB, but wanted to hear from other people on the
list if that would be considered overkill or still not enough.