[ale] GParted & unallocated space

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sat Sep 25 10:14:56 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 09:58 -0400, Jim Philips wrote:
> I bought a new laptop and I'm trying to install Ubuntu on it. The firs
> time around, I ended up destroying the Windows installation (which I
> did not want to do). The second time I went in and looked for the
> "side by side" option for installing from the live CD. It wasn't
> there. So, I decided to try GParted. I shrank the nearly 475 gigs
> dedicated to Windows in half. After that, I am left with 235 gigs of
> unallocated space. The Ubuntu installer will neither format nor
> install to that space. Gparted won't format it either. So, from where
> I am now, there is nothing I can do with that space either with the
> Ubuntu installer or GParted. The "Format to" option is just grayed out
> in GParted. I don't remember my last install being this hard.
>
> This is a Windows 7, 64 bit laptop.

It is desirable to "shrink" the partition from with-in windows.  Right
click on "my computer" select "manage" go down to "disk manager".  I
don't remember the exact thing to do, but from there (perhaps by right
clicking menu on the disk partition?) you can select to change the size
of the partition.  Give that a try.  I have never "seen" the situation
you are describing, however, I have broke windows 7 by NOT using windows
built in disk manager to change the size.

HTH