[ale] GParted & unallocated space

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 09:58:31 EDT 2010

I bought a new laptop and I'm trying to install Ubuntu on it. The firs time
around, I ended up destroying the Windows installation (which I did not want
to do). The second time I went in and looked for the "side by side" option
for installing from the live CD. It wasn't there. So, I decided to try
GParted. I shrank the nearly 475 gigs dedicated to Windows in half. After
that, I am left with 235 gigs of unallocated space. The Ubuntu installer
will neither format nor install to that space. Gparted won't format it
either. So, from where I am now, there is nothing I can do with that space
either with the Ubuntu installer or GParted. The "Format to" option is just
grayed out in GParted. I don't remember my last install being this hard.

This is a Windows 7, 64 bit laptop.