[ale] IPs

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 13 10:23:27 EDT 2010

Ron Frazier <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com> writes:

[snip]
> Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the
> following "machine name":
>
> c-76-97-157-166.hsd1.ga.comcast.net
>
> So, he not only knows I'm in GA, he knows my ISP.  Not sure how that's done.

"Reverse-DNS."  You can look up data (PTR records) in the
z.y.x.w.in-addr.arpa domain for IP Address w.x.y.z and if the ISP (like
Comcast) has put in information then that's what you'll get.  But it
could be completely random if the IP Address is via your own net-block.

So while Comcast is good about reverse-DNS pointer records, not all ISPs
are, and generally you cannot assume that PTR records contain GEO
information.  For example, I can assure you that 130.207.160.29 is in
Georgia, but DNS certainly wouldn't tell you directly.

-derek