[ale] Very thin details - Unable to remove files from an Apple - SOLVED

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Sep 13 09:01:36 EDT 2010

Thanks to those who replied.

The issue was actually with removing emails not general files.   What
she was talking about was "on my mac" which was a subfolder of her
email's trash folder.   (She had that and another subfolder which was
for her login at yahoo mail [I know...].)   I never saw any message
complaining about "on my mac" as she said she had but she told me that
was what she had been on about.  I gather that "on my mac" is the
difference between mail stored at the provider and mail stored locally
on the Apple laptop.  The message was a red herring.

Anyway the issue was that if you went to one of her other (non-trash)
folders and selected messages for deletion they simply greyed out
instead of going away.   At first it appeared that dragging a message
from one of those folders to trash would delete it but on restarting
mail it would come back again.   After doing some Google searching I
found some things.  One that told me to go into the
Preferenceds-->Account Settings and get rid of the option to move to
special folder (e.g. trash).  I noticed in there were settings for how
long to keep messages after deletion and the one associated with that
said for 1 month so I changed it to when mail closes.   That didn't do
it.   I then tried deselecting that option altogether (It's an entirely
different kind of flying...) but that didn't do it either so I
reselected it.   Another post suggested that one needs to do that
deselect and reselect and also do a "Rebuild" of the mail folder.
After doing the rebuild the messages deleted (went to trash) if I
highlighted them and dragged them to trash or if I highlighted them and
clicked "Delete".   If I then did the option to delete all erased
messages (which hadn't worked before the rebuild) it successfully
removed the messages from trash.

So it appears that doing a Rebuild on the folder was necessary to fix
the issue.   Deselecting and reselecting the option to move to special
folder on delete MAY have been necessary but I'm not sure.

Interestingly it appears this Rebuild can be selected for each folder
and it is quite fast - I had expected it to need to go through and so
some sort of file reorganization that would take time but it didn't.

My payment for this was a package of "McVittie's Digestive Biscuits"
(Chocolate).  :-)