[ale] IPs

Robert rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Sun Sep 12 00:37:32 EDT 2010

>> Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the
>> following "machine name":
>>
>> c-76-97-157-166.hsd1.ga.comcast.net
>>
>> So, he not only knows I'm in GA, he knows my ISP.  Not sure how that's done.

no magic here, that's a simple reverse DNS lookup. So it's actually comcast
that has set this up. So he doesn't actually know you are in GA, unless he's
parsing DNS info (unlikely), or he's also using geolocation (mentioned in the
previous link).

--
Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.