[ale] weird mouse problem

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Thu Sep 9 11:41:51 EDT 2010

This really harkens back to the old M$ HCL for NT.  Back in those days
all I cared about was that the h/w I was selecting was included in the
HCL and I knew I had compatibility.  I'm running into issues of what is
either compatibility or configuration in doing installations for
friends.  Consistently I have issues with video and not being able to
render the screen in the proper resolution.  Frustrating.

At this point in my Linux experience I'm more likely to chalk it up to
inexperience on my part and the grade of my learning curve.  That's
where this group comes is so handy!

Considering all the issues that Windows has gone through (9x especially
comes to mind) could you have argued that it wasn't "ready" for the
mainstream then?  Perhaps....especially if you were a Mac user.
(hehehe)  Rivalry aside...we see Linux as a scalable, stable and
reliable platform that we can tweak, twist, bend and mold into something
pleasing to us.  For my part I evangelize the virtues of Linux over M$
as a new way of computing and a new way of thinking.  By definition
(IMHO) it is not mainstream and I doubt it will be in the US anytime
soon if ever.

Now...off to see how things go installing 64 Studio on an IBM 8183 for a
buddy of mine!  Hopefully well.......R