[ale] weird mouse problem

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 11:19:22 EDT 2010

I make sure I buy the right parts for my car. If I get a left-handed claw
hammer for a Toyota pickup and try to install it into the Porche, that would
make me the moron.

Hardware makers sell parts. Sometimes they have to write new drivers for the
parts. A precious few write drivers for Linux as well as winders and macs.

Yes it's an uphill battle. But those that don't do the research and buy the
wrong parts made the mistake.

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>wrote:

> so, how many months have you been waiting/working to get that mouse
> working?
> for the most part, if you want to buy SOMETHING for your Linux PC, you
> really
> need to make SURE that someone has already gotten it to work, or you will
> either spend alot of time working on it, or waiting til the next
> kernel/software update. OK, so linux might be ready for prime time AS LONG
> as
> you buy it with linux installed & don't add anything to it, or know someone
> that has added that piece of hardware to an existing linux box. If you buy
> Mac, and buy your software/hardware at a MAC store, it will work, right?
> but
> you can't go to Best Buy, Sams Club... and buy a piece of hardware and KNOW
> that it will work with your linux box. I ran into that with modems, trying
> get one to work for my Uncle.. very frustrating, and he gave up. If he had
> just had DSL, it probably would have JUST WORKED. Not everything does.
> So if Linux is ready for prime time, then it is the Windows driver
> programmers
> that need to change, good luck!

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.