[ale] A Real Sad Loss for Open Source in the Atlanta Area

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Oct 17 16:17:40 EDT 2010

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Daniel Howard wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 10:32:28 -0400 From: Jim Kinney
> > <jim.kinney at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [ale] A Real Sad Loss for
> Open
> > Source in the Atlanta Area To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes!
> We
> > run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
>
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Michael Potter
> <michael at potter.name>
> > wrote:
> >> I am sending this so this thread has some balance.
>
> > I don't see why this thread needs "balance". It's not an attempt
> at being a "neutral" news report.
>
> I concur 100% with Jim: this is not meant to be a 'neutral' news
> report, it is a list for Linux (and OpenSource) enthusiasts.
> Please don't start trying to make this list balanced, we're all
> here because we're dedicated to evangelizing and helping others
> with Linux and OpenSource solutions.  Regardless of where they are
> now relative to existing proprietary solutions, we believe in their
> future and their utility, or we wouldn't be here.  Best, Daniel

Wouldn't it just be easier to admit that this list doesn't need to
be "balanced" because so many of us are just plain unbalanced
ourselve?? 8-) <<ducking and running for a fortified shelter>>

That said - despite the total lack of need for balance, the view
of using what the customer base wants does have some business
logic. I violently disagree with it, but there is the business
logic there.

YMWV of course