[ale] Re; remapping flash drives

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 01:12:19 EDT 2010

  On 10/10/2010 12:46 AM, Scott Castaline wrote:
>  On 10/10/2010 12:00 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> Scott,
>>
>> Use a 2010 vintage distro and it should be able to interrogate the
>> drive for the proper geometry info.
>>
>> If you don't have one, I know opensuse 11.3 has the kernel / userspace
>> support in general.  (I don't know about the lacie specifically)  You
>> can get a live cd and partition your drive.
>>
>> Greg
>> Greg
>>
>> On 10/9/10, Scott Castaline<skotchman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>    Anybody have a LaCie iamaKey 16GB Flash Drive? I need the
>>> cylinder/head/sector values that fdisk reports. I'm not sure what went
>>> wrong but all of that is now gone on mine and I don't have any of that
>>> available>  I'm trying to see if their web site has it.
>>>
> This thing is really strange. Sometimes it's there and other times
> it's not. It all of a sudden started complaining when I run fdisk that
> I had to set the cylinders. Now all of a sudden it's showing the
> correct information and my VFAT partition was there, even though I had
> deleted it. I've tried mounting, unmounting, rebooting, and it is just
> real flakey. I've been trying to install LiveCD (Fedora 13) on it.
>
> I have created a custom spin of the F13 Gnome LiveCD in conjunction
> with a kickstart cfg file so that I would have certain apps already
> installed on the image using livecd-creator. Then I use
> liveusb-creator to get the livecd image onto the flash drive. Now the
> process does work as I do have a 2GB SanDisk Cruzar running my respun
> image. What I was hoping to do was use the 16GB LaCie Key, so that I
> had some additional room for my data files. That is where it is
> failing. Is it possible that for some reason LaCie is not compatible
> with Linux?
>
> Michael, are you not using yours with Linux? It just seems to be
> behaving a little erratic. Maybe it's defective, if so then I might
> have to go with the one that is working (2GB) along with a 2nd flash
> drive for data as I'm running out of time. I'll be going down to Fl
> very soon.
Okay, now I've tried it again only this time cutting back the persistent
/home overlay down to 1024MB instead of 2048MB and it went through the
whole 9 yards including setting up the overlay as an encrypted
partition. It would be nice if it worked on a ext2,3,4 filesystem. Seems
like the 1024 thingy is an issue. Have to play with it some more
tomorrow or is tomorrow already today?