[ale] Re; remapping flash drives

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 00:46:08 EDT 2010

  On 10/10/2010 12:00 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Scott,
>
> Use a 2010 vintage distro and it should be able to interrogate the
> drive for the proper geometry info.
>
> If you don't have one, I know opensuse 11.3 has the kernel / userspace
> support in general.  (I don't know about the lacie specifically)  You
> can get a live cd and partition your drive.
>
> Greg
> Greg
>
> On 10/9/10, Scott Castaline<skotchman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>    Anybody have a LaCie iamaKey 16GB Flash Drive? I need the
>> cylinder/head/sector values that fdisk reports. I'm not sure what went
>> wrong but all of that is now gone on mine and I don't have any of that
>> available>  I'm trying to see if their web site has it.

This thing is really strange. Sometimes it's there and other times it's
not. It all of a sudden started complaining when I run fdisk that I had
to set the cylinders. Now all of a sudden it's showing the correct
information and my VFAT partition was there, even though I had deleted
it. I've tried mounting, unmounting, rebooting, and it is just real
flakey. I've been trying to install LiveCD (Fedora 13) on it.

I have created a custom spin of the F13 Gnome LiveCD in conjunction with
a kickstart cfg file so that I would have certain apps already installed
on the image using livecd-creator. Then I use liveusb-creator to get the
livecd image onto the flash drive. Now the process does work as I do
have a 2GB SanDisk Cruzar running my respun image. What I was hoping to
do was use the 16GB LaCie Key, so that I had some additional room for my
data files. That is where it is failing. Is it possible that for some
reason LaCie is not compatible with Linux?

Michael, are you not using yours with Linux? It just seems to be
behaving a little erratic. Maybe it's defective, if so then I might have
to go with the one that is working (2GB) along with a 2nd flash drive
for data as I'm running out of time. I'll be going down to Fl very soon.