[ale] Seeing if there's any interest

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Fri Oct 8 22:21:11 EDT 2010

On 10/08/2010 08:23 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri October 8 2010, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>> Paul, It is a smartcard designed to hold PGP/GPG keys. Typically you
>> would place your subkeys that you use for daily use on there and keep
>> your primary key on other media you could backup. You can actually
>> generate the key on the card so there is no way to get the key off of it
>> for backup purposes or you can copy an existing PGP/GPG key on to the card.
>
> Is that all it would be good for is carrying your gpg key around? as in for a
> signing party? Mine is on my laptop, and I occaissionally use it to sign
> email, and encrypt/decrypt files..

	Yes, it can holds up to 3072 bits of RSA keys. Yes it would be used for
daily signing of email and encrypting/decrypting files. Currently for me
the keys are stored on an AES encrypted filesystem. I don't keep my
private key on any computer.

	Actually you wouldn't want to have your key at a signing party to
actually sign a key there. I actually will not sign someone's key if I
find them actually signing the key at a key signing party.