[ale] Q and REsolved(?): Perl 'Expect' timeout question

Mills John M-NPHW64 Jmills at motorola.com
Mon Oct 4 15:48:47 EDT 2010

Jerald -

I would say the answer to (1) is 'No'. Nightly I am exercising a newly built firmware version to see if it "acts like" its predecessor.

For (2): maybe. I have a small number of hosts with minor differences between them. My script "tweaks" the test unit, then looks for particular text in a remote syslog the test unit sends to another host. This has proven simple but each new target requires a bit of hand-work to add ('doesn't scale well'). A general, structured test tool would make sense.

Give me a bit more information and I'll look into alternatives.

Thanks.

 - Mills