[ale] Q and REsolved(?): Perl 'Expect' timeout question

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 15:30:35 EDT 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 2:29 PM, Mills John M-NPHW64 wrote:

> Typically my scripts do a simple sequence of (1) execute process on remote, and (2) pick through the response looking for specific text.

I think I'd like to change the question first before I answer.

1.  Are you performing repetitive tasks for the purposes of monitoring?  If so, have you considered, instead, to use something that might be more akin to a monitoring project than trying to reinvent the wheel?
2.  If you're executing repetitive scripts on a series o destination hosts, would a puppet or a cfengine be more appropriate to your needs?

Each of the above would be easy to use (and OSS!) and might also lend more features you don't currently have.

--j