[ale] best cross platform development evironment

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Nov 8 18:29:13 EST 2010

On 11/08/2010 06:13 PM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> At the risk of sounding horribly indecisive, has anyone had any experience
> with Ruby?  From an employment point of view, I like the languages
> previously discussed.  However, from an intellectual point of view, Ruby
> sounds really cool because of the power and flexibility and expressiveness
> it's reputed to have.  I have my doubts that it could be as fast as either
> C++, C#, or Java.  Also, it seems like getting a ruby application deployed
> on a user's system might be a bear.
>
> I just decided to run out to Borders and look over some C++ and Ruby books
> for curiosity.  I have a 33% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket,
> expires tonight.
>
> I know Amazon may be cheaper, but I have to see a programming book before I
> buy it.  So many of them are about as interesting as reading the dictionary.

If you're looking for a Ruby book, I want to make a plug for The
Well-Grounded Rubyist by David Black. When I was trying to learn some
Ruby back in 2007, an earlier book of his was the most helpful. Judging
from the amazon reviews, this new one is great as well. I think the
author does a better job of clearly explaining and illustrating concepts
than most technical writers do.

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Grounded-Rubyist-David-Black/dp/1933988657/

--
All the best,