[ale] [OT] Upgrade G4 Mini to OS X 10.5?

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 20:43:56 EDT 2010

On 2010/11/01, at 20:04 , Richard Bronosky wrote:

> Aaron you are tin foil hatting. There is no evil plot to make you
> upgrade your Mac OS.
> Apple doesn't even use serial numbers with their
> OSes. They don't care.

Wasn't talking about the OSeX updates in that, I was referring
to the failed capacitors in the hardware (mostly in jest).  I took
in about 3 free dead Macs thinking I could repair them, but
replacing a half dozen capacitors on a multi layer wave soldered
main board isn't trivial (or likely to be worth the effort on a $250
salvage).

> Apple wants you upgrade hardware.

Exactly.

> So much so
> that even if you upgrade to the OS that introduced inertial scrolling
> on a multitouch MacBook Pro that predated it... You don't get the
> feature. That is evil.

I'm sure that the multi feature had more to do with the touch pad
hardware than the OS talking to it.  I can actually understand and
forgive that being the case. Hardware feature _additions_ are
more of an enticement to migrate;  premature hardware failures
pretty much compel one to migrate.  :-P

peace
aaron