[ale] outcome of interview with Donald Knuth

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Fri May 28 17:41:14 EDT 2010

A few weeks back I posted questions here about how to do telephone
interviews for podcasts.  I considered several options, including some
of the conference call services
and an Ekiga/Audacity combination.  What I finally did was get a
Tele-R-Corder DVTR-680 inline digital recorder from Fry's (about $98).
 The reason I decided not to go with VOIP is that I listened to a
number of podcasts which here done over Skype, and they'd periodically
sound underwater.  My assumption is that Ekiga might periodically have
the same problem.

So I just recorded the interview straight off a landline telephone and
did some enhancement with Audacity.  All in all it worked pretty well.
 You can  tell it was a phone interview, but I don't have any
objection to remote interviews sounding like what they are, as long as
the dialog is clear and understandable.

Anyone interested can listen to it at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/larryfeltonj

I'm going after a really low tech interview for my next one.  I'd like
to interview Joseph Amato about his book On Foot -- A History of
Walking.  No one can accuse me of having a narrow definition of
technology :-)  My first interview was actually Barbara Joye, about
the founding of WRFG.

Larry