[ale] Do Google searches over SSL

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon May 24 14:13:53 EDT 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010, krwatson at cc.gatech.edu wrote:

> Do Google searches over SSL
> https://www.google.com/

Good for keeping the people in the middle between you and google
from sniffing your traffic. If you are a true paranoid (realist)
the threat with any real search engine company is the law enforcement
interface that enables them to see what you searched for from behind
Google's systems. I'm hopeful that it takes some amount of paperwork and
authorization, but I'm enough of a realist to know better.

In fact, if I were law enforcement, I'd be more interested in what people
were searching for over SSL than plain text.

And while using tor and SSL also make sure you Ctrl-Shift-Del everything
(css visited hacks and other fun) and randomly change your browser ident
string, and tunnel to some distant servers.. and.. and..

Or you can just stop being embarassed about searching for
"steampunk cosplay dildonics" or "making chemical/biological weapons from
household items" Although the latter might get you a visit from guys in
dark suits...

Unfortunately, hiding things is now "proof" that you have something to
hide.