[ale] Recovering FC11 default GNOME panel

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 18 11:54:04 EDT 2010

I'm quite aware of the gconftool-2 cli abilities. My gripe is and will
likely continue that by having it centralized it makes the settings much
harder to work with than is needed. By saving things in xml format it add a
needless layer of textual beauracracy that is better handled by a well
designed foo.conf.template file.

I am not a fan of xml. I don't see xml as _the_solution_ for all things
data. Inheritable configuration settings do not require a cascading
stylesheet of open/close tags. It encourages far too much replication of
data (setting "foo" is used in both container "bar" and "baz" which are not
related in anyway so <uses>foo</uses> must be entered twice when a simply
foo=1 or foo=true would have sufficed).

All hail the simple setting=value configuration format!

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> Oh, this is surprising coming from you. The GUI for gconf came after the
> CLI tools.  Say "man -k gconf".
>
> Also, using gconf's command line utility, which is quite powerful, you can
> remove a tree of settings easily. Again, read the man page for it.
>
> Now, if your distro doesn't include the CLI tools for it, that's their
> fault, not gconf's.
>
> Oh and do some more reading up on gconf. It is actually quite elegant, and
> the only thing it has as a similarity to the Windows Registry is that it
> holds configuration data. Everything else about it is far, far superior.
>
> --
> Sent from my ADP1 running Android 2.1
>
> On May 18, 2010 10:57 AM, "Jim Kinney" <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Jim Philips <briarpatch.jim at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, May ...
>
> Probably more of the same. Gnome is _very_ configurable just not from a
> command line. They chose the nearly-all-gui route a long time ago.

> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness
> Doing pretty well o...

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits