[ale] OT "1 step forward, 2 steps back"

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 16:43:52 EDT 2010

I knew that Vista was available with the downgrade to XP, but this is the
first I have heard of 7 being sold with the downgrade. My understanding was
that XP can be installed as a virtual machine under 7 Pro, Ultimate or
Enterprise (but you have to provide the media yourself since XP is no longer
sold/supported).

Actually, it isn't altogether pointless, esp. when you consider that XP is
the *only* desktop OS that MS has that is certified for secure systems (as
in like for DOD and other sensitive branches of Govt.) and supposedly Vista
wouldn't be finished with certified until either next year or even the 2012.
So, if you needed to develop something secure for say the military on M$
now, you would need the downgrade.

Now that Balmer & Friends have announced the impending end to Vista in favor
of 7, I don't know where the certification process stands.

GC