[ale] Current Netbook Options

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Wed May 12 14:57:07 EDT 2010

m-aaron-r wrote:
> I recently had to request a spreadsheet document from an
> associate at an organization I work with.  Very surprisingly,
> offered the file format choices of ODS _and_ gnumeric!  It
> turns out the person keeping the records and her partner got
> fed up with windisease a few years back and they switched
> to Linux and OOo for all their computer needs.
>
> One of their machines is a Acer Aspire One Netbook, but it has
> been problematic for them, apparently a faulty BIOS flash memory
> issue that makes the track pad and mouse dysfunctional across
> all the distros they have tried.  Since the factory fix only lasted for
> a week, they are looking to replace the device.
>
> I sent them a Netbook comparison & review article from an
> older Linux format issue, but also promised to ask here for
> current recommendations for Linux  netbooks or mini notebooks.

Its not really a netbook but its in the same family: The Acer Aspire
1410 that I have.
http://www.liliputing.com/2009/09/acer-aspire-1410-review.html

I put 4GB of RAM in it and a 500GB hard drive. Its 11.6" which means
100% full size keys which is a must for someone with large hands and
fingers like me. Its also 1366x768 resolution which is the same size as
most of the low cost 15.6" laptops being sold. *And* I get 5.5 hours of
work out of the 6 cell battery under Windows 7 Home Premium. About 4.8
hours with stock Ubuntu 9.04. If you use a netbook remix you can get
that to around 6 hours of course but I find the netbook remix too
limiting for my work style. and I hear you can get a 9 cell battery for
it....