[ale] Current Netbook Options

m-aaron-r aaron at pd.org
Tue May 11 18:41:29 EDT 2010

I recently had to request a spreadsheet document from an
associate at an organization I work with.  Very surprisingly,
offered the file format choices of ODS _and_ gnumeric!  It
turns out the person keeping the records and her partner got
fed up with windisease a few years back and they switched
to Linux and OOo for all their computer needs.

One of their machines is a Acer Aspire One Netbook, but it has
been problematic for them, apparently a faulty BIOS flash memory
issue that makes the track pad and mouse dysfunctional across
all the distros they have tried.  Since the factory fix only lasted for
a week, they are looking to replace the device.

I sent them a Netbook comparison & review article from an
older Linux format issue, but also promised to ask here for
current recommendations for Linux  netbooks or mini notebooks.

Any input appreciated!

peace
aaron