[ale] Very Weird! keys become 'hot' in tightvnc under Ubuntu-10.04

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri May 7 21:37:19 EDT 2010

ALErs -

I just set up ubuntu-10.04 'desktop' and it went very easily, but
something strange happens when I try to access a VNC session on the new
machine: ordinary, useful keys ('s', 'm') typed into a console window are
interpreted as control keys and bring out window-control dropdown menus
like 'logout/shutdown/restart'. Not very useful!

I've seen the problem from viewers on MsWin Vista and Fedora Linux so I'm
convinced it's going on at the server. Ordinary console sessions on the
X11 desktop have no such behavior.

I installed 'tightvnc-1.3.9' using 'aptitude install vncviewer' and just
took what I got.

At first I was pleased that 'tightvnc's server used my personal desktop
and window manager, but maybe that's the problem.

Has anyone seen such behavior? Better, has anyone _controlled_ this
behavior??

TIA.
  - Mills