[ale] wireless troubles

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Wed May 5 21:02:31 EDT 2010

Doug McNash wrote:
> ---- Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 10:05 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
>>> Ubuntu 10.4 on a Dell Latitude E6500.
>>>
>>> Wireless is simply flaky.  Often times after rebooting the
>>> wireless card is disabled, even though the physical switch is on.
>>> Rebooting will sometimes resolve this issue.
>>>
>>> Anyone???
>>>

>> I've seen this behavior on my Aspire D250.  I originally thought
>> hardware problem but it only happened under XP.  The light would be
>> on but the card could not negotiate with any AP.  Restart did not
>> fix.  I had to power down and power up.
>>

> This same thing happen last night on my wife's IBM  touchy-feelly
> pad. Somehow the radio got turned off at some level but not at the
> switch or at the GUI level.  Despite my many claims that I don't do
> support and I especially don't do support on Windows Vista she made
> it clear I would have no peace unless I fixed it.  The last thing she
> had done was put it in suspend or hibernate modes.

I've seen this on two laptops running Vista.  I actually tracked it down
to some configuration buried in Vista.  I can't recall where, but it was
a good couple of hours digging.  I suspect your problem is a Vista issue.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson