[ale] /etc/mtab

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Wed May 5 19:23:38 EDT 2010

Oddly enough, /proc/mounts doesn't retain all the information that mtab
does.  For example, the kernel is oblivious to certain mount options
that are only used by the mount.* program (e.g., credentials for CIFS).
I'm not sure how much of this still applies, but there's an extensive
LKML thread[1] that documents this and the reasons for NOT making it a
symlink to /proc/mounts.

David
[1] http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/2/19/43

--