[ale] What are the minimum requirements for a CentOS server to learn on?

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Tue May 4 13:32:54 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 11:45 -0400, Robert Owen wrote:
> Hi, All, I haven't posted to the list in several years, so please
> forgive my "lurking" most of the time. My son-in-law is studying at
> home for the RHCT exam and wants to know what motherboard and
> processor, and minimum amount of memory he needs to set up a server to
> learn with. Initially, it will be for a home network, but later, maybe
> on . . . ? It must be able to set up virtual servers, too.

most any box that will load linux will work in general, now when you
talk of virtual machines, then you will need hardware virtualization in
the cpu.  Not all boxes sold support that (mfg turn it off in the bios).
I purchased a Dell low end tower server, a T105
( http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/servers/pedge_t105/pd.aspx?refid=pedge_t105&s=bsd&cs=04 )
for about $250 on some sale.  It does work for centos/RHEL just fine and
will do virtualization (KVM) flawlessly.  I run Proxmox VE
( http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page ) on it.  This allows me to set
up virtual networks and various virtual machines to do what I want
(using KVM) with a minimal of configuration.  Proxmox is based off of
Debian stable and takes 10 min to install.  Keeps the focus on learning
what you want to learn rather then trying to figure out how to run a
virutualization product.  If you prefer you could also run VPSs on it as
well.

HP would have a similar machine for a similar price, I am just not
familiar with HP.

In short, you don't NEED a server box to run CentOS or RHEL to learn how
to be a RHCT, any box would work that will install CentOS.  IF you
wanted to run server hardware, the T105 or equivalent would work fine
for most any "home" use.  If you add "virtualization", then you can add
virtual disks at will and learn complex disk management, you can add
NICs and play "network" games at will, etc.  You would not be able to
play "games"on a T105 as the graphics are not designed to do that (if
that matters).

HTH