[ale] Cheap internet

scott boss scott at sboss.net
Sun May 2 13:29:12 EDT 2010

I am running bizclass for over 2.5 years (or is it 3.5?)

I just called up that group's sales line stating I was using it for
remote access to support the office after hours.  And if I was lucky
one day a week. After the standar sales upsell stuff they signed me up
and scheduled for their tech to install a new modem.  You have to use
their modem.  Not a biggie since the rental is in the base monthly cost.

They say you must have a windows machine for the tech to configure.
Don't panic.  At the time I hade a sun workstation, Linux boxes galore
and a mac.  The tech just looked at me and told me what needed to be
configured (ips and such).  Then I had to pull up CNN or such to
provit works.  Then as soon as he was out the door I undid the changes
and placed my access point/router/firewall in that place and
configured it to be directly on the Internet.

They knew up front that I was going to have that firewall.  But so the
tech did not blame my fw, I went direct connect until I got him out he
door.  And he knew it and didn't care.

With biz class you are not guaranteed a static ip unless you request
it.  I did when I placed my order.  They reserve the right to change
it on you with short notice.  They have never changed mine.

Now if you have Comcast home, when you switch to biz class the ip
address/range/subnet changes.

  good luck...

Sent from my mobile...