[ale] GO Windows!!! ;-)

George Carless kafka at antichri.st
Mon Jun 28 20:52:48 EDT 2010

Avery Ceo (avery.ceo at gmail.com) wrote the following on Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 09:09:45AM -0400:
> On 6/28/10, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> > I reckon that's plain wrong - Just because "ain't" is in common use it
> > ain't proper English.   "It is me" may be common but there ain't no
> > arguments for it being proper English so there ain't no arguments on
> > both sides.  Youse is either right or y'all is wrong but you'uns can't
> > have it both ways.

But that's my point--there *are* good arguments for its being "proper English" (whatever that might be).
To say "it was he who argued pointlessly on ALE" is fine, since it can be easily reworded to "he was the
person who argued pointlessly[...]," but the same parallelism doesn't exist with "it is I"; we simply
don't say "I is it," so, well, if "it is I" is more correct than "it is me," why, then, shouldn't we make
the same case for "this am I" -- which, clearly, nobody at all would say.  As I said, this argument is
hardly a new one (nor one that we're likely to resolve here); and, at any rate, when it comes to
"correctness" common usage rules; that's why we're not the French.

(Having said that, of course, I'll certainly continue to rail against "I could care less" or, for that
matter, "between you and I" *shudder*.)