[ale] tty1 vs tty2,3,4,etc

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 13:50:02 EDT 2010

Yep. The console starts on tty1 by default. That's what's holding the init
link open. Moving console to tty0 has no effect but tty7 does. However, once
booted the system does not revert back to displaying tty1 without alt-F1.

this box takes three times as long to get through the bios as the Linux does
to come up. ugh.... does the bios have to run at 12KHz on a 3GHz machine?

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 10:34 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > what is special about tty1? In Fedora 12 I have turned on Magic SysRq.
> > This allows me to press alt-sysrq-k and slaughter everything running
> > on a tty. Works fine for tty2+ but causes a system panic and hard
> > crash on tty1.
> >
> > Is init hard bound to tty1?
>
> At the very least, upstart does not hold a tty while running:
>
> mbt at fennel:~$ ps -eaf|grep init
> root         1     0  1 12:14 ?        00:00:02 /sbin/init
>
> lsof also doesn't show any TTY lines open from the process.  However,
> when it starts, if memory serves, /dev/console is the TTY line in use.
> If that eventually becomes tty1, that _might_ explain the behavior that
> you're seeing.
>
>        --- Mike
>
> --
> Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
> you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child
> labor should:  boycott Microsoft like you would any other amoral child
> abuser:  http://is.gd/btW8m

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992