[ale] tty1 vs tty2,3,4,etc

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Jun 8 12:18:17 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 10:34 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> what is special about tty1? In Fedora 12 I have turned on Magic SysRq.
> This allows me to press alt-sysrq-k and slaughter everything running
> on a tty. Works fine for tty2+ but causes a system panic and hard
> crash on tty1.
>
> Is init hard bound to tty1?

At the very least, upstart does not hold a tty while running:

mbt at fennel:~$ ps -eaf|grep init
root         1     0  1 12:14 ?        00:00:02 /sbin/init

lsof also doesn't show any TTY lines open from the process.  However,
when it starts, if memory serves, /dev/console is the TTY line in use.
If that eventually becomes tty1, that _might_ explain the behavior that
you're seeing.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child