[ale] xml

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Jul 21 07:56:28 EDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Terry Bailey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to encrypt xml files?

An XML file is a text file. All forms of encryption are valid.

In web applications, in transit between servers they should at least be
SSL encrypted via SSL/HTTPS servers. If they are large, compression is an
amazing thing, as XML files are typically very compressible.
XML+Compression+Encryption is a very good thing.

If being used for transporting information between systems, you need
to make sure it's a method of encryption that both support. Your Linux box
has a lot of options nearly built in, the .Not server you might be
sending the files to/from may require some shims, a hammer and some duct
tape to decrypt/encrypt in a manner compatible with yours.

I get some XML files that require "SecureZIP"
http://www.pkware.com/software-data-security/intro
to unzip. (they come from a Windows system)

I get others that require GPG to decrypt..

But most of the files are Double rot13 encrypted. (just kidding).

--Mike--