[ale] xml

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Jul 20 22:29:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 20:27 -0400, Terry Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to encrypt xml files?

I am going to guess that you mean specifically; there are a number of
solutions for encrypting arbitrary files themselves (Paul has already
mentioned GnuPG), as well as the filesystems/archives that they can be
present in.

First off, to my knowledge, there is nothing prescribed in the XML
standard that would give preference to any sort to method of encryption.
It defines nothing more than a format for well-formed files that have
tags.  (These days there is also a "binary XML" file format, though I
know little to nothing about it; it may contain some provision for
encryption, I do not know.)

Now, within tags, you can have arbitrary content, including other tags,
and the content within those tags is going to be interpreted in an
application-specific¹ manner.  If an application of XML supports
optional encryption, there will probably be an attribute in the tag that
indicates that it is encrypted (along with the non-secret parameters of
encryption, I should think).  If an application mandates encryption,
then it may or may not have such information available.

Probably what we need to most accurately answer your question is what
you are looking to do, and why.  Perhaps there is a better method for
accomplishing the same thing that you have not yet thought of, as well.

	--- Mike

¹ By application, I don't mean "application software", but rather the
  more conventional meaning of application, such as "there are multiple
  applications for the use of angle iron" or something similar.