[ale] [OT] ping

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jul 19 08:27:34 EDT 2010

> is this an atnex issue, a cogento issue? an Athens issue?

or all of the above.

Like I said: mtr is a tool, not a diagnosis. Also remember that responding
to pings and traceroutes is a low-priority item in most routers, and some
network sysadmins make it lower, or block it all together. ie: that router
could be running just perfectly on no load, but only responding to 1 ICMP
per second by design.

Your idea of mtr-ing several different routes is valid, and a good way to
look at things. If you see a common problem you are probably looking at
it.

I used to do things like:

    http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/2002-12/msg00401.html

For network testing.
But no longer have that kind of job and bandwidth to burn.
and "speedy" was dec alpha running Linux.

side note: I had forgotten about iperf. It's still a debian package
for internet performance testing and still very good for testing network
issues.

--Mike--