[ale] And now, on topic - laptop hardware recommendations

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 08:59:59 EDT 2010

I like the deals one can get with Dell also, but before purchasing any given
model I'd check out what wireless chip the model has.  Go to http:://
linuxwireless.org to check out the support for the chip.  My own experience
with a Dell Inspiron 1545 is that wireless support is the crankiest thing to
configure.

Larry

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>
> wrote:
> > My dad just had a mobo failure on his Acer One netbook and is looking
> > for a replacement. It has to have Linux friendly components, of
> > course, but other than that nothing is sacred but price. It could be
> > anywhere between a netbook and a 15". Goal is to spend <$300 for a
> > netbook or <$500 for a laptop.
> >
> > What brands do you trust?
> >
> > Which do you avoid?
> >
> > Are there any deals you would like to take advantage of this week?
> >
> > Are there any local deals worth me picking up for him?
> >
> > --
> > Sent from my mobile device
> >
> > .!# RichardBronosky #!.
> >

> I would recommend Dell laptop, I know to most that might be evil, but
> with the back-to-school special coming up, the prices are in that
> range, plus so far on the hardware side I have better lunch with them
> than other brands. I know that weird to say.
>
> Dunno much about netbooks, since I am MacHead  I am still debating a
> netbook or iPad.

> Discover it! Enjoy it! Share it! openSUSE Linux.
> openSUSE -- en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
> openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
> skype,twiiter,identica,friendfeed -- terrorpup
> freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
>
> Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
> to package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE
> Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.

"I see design standards that don't tell you how to come up with a good
design (only how to write it down), employee evaluation standards that don't
help you build meaningful long-term relationships with staff, testing
standards that don't tell you how to invent a test that is worth running."

                                     Tom DeMarco
                                      Slack