[ale] NetMan Question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 08:30:43 EDT 2010

Try deleting ~/.gcond/saved_state from a command line while NOT logged into
X. Then log back in.

Network Manager got fickle on me and  think that worked. If not it was
deletion of the entire .gconf dir from a cli then log back in.

NetworkManager is run through messagebus which is dbus. That chain talks to
the nm-applet which is the missing component. Manually starting it seems to
be not good.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Richard Faulkner <rfaulkner at 34thprs.org>wrote:

>  Greetings all...
>
> Here's a simple question for those in the know...I could go digging for
> this but thought I'd hit the list for soots-n-grins...
>
> I was helping my dad with a tech issue on his Fedora 12 Gateway laptop (no
> dual-boot).  He said he had lost the Network Manager applet on the main
> panel.  Some digging revealed that the wireless NIC was disabled but even
> with his configs entered in Network Connections (and a reboot) he didn't get
> Net Man back.  Not knowing how to get it "back" I suggested that he create a
> new user and go from there.  This wasn't a bad choice for him as he didn't
> have anything important in that old user anyway and it solved his problem --
> but still...I'd like to know how to get Net Man "back".
>
> The learning curve continues...thanks in advance all!

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992