[ale] md2_raid1

drifter drifter at oppositelock.org
Sun Jan 31 16:00:44 EST 2010

This FC11 Box has suddenly slowed  to a crawl.

Top reports that md2_raid1 is sucking up 20 - 32%
of the cpu cycles and md2_resync is taking another
2-5%.

The log says this:

Sarge kernel: md: data-check of RAID array md2
Sarge kernel: md: minimum _guaranteed_  speed: 1000 KB/sec/disk.
Sarge kernel: md: using maximum available idle IO bandwidth (but not more
  than 200000 KB/sec) for data-check.
Sarge kernel: md: using 128k window, over a total of 202001152 blocks.
Sarge kernel: md: delaying data-check of md0 until md2 has finished (they
  share one or more physical units)
Sarge kernel: md: delaying data-check of md1 until md2 has finished (they
  share one or more physical units)

Is this routine, or an early hint that one of my hard drives may be about
to die?

If routine, can I create a cron job that does this work at a more useful
time, such as 2 am?

Sean