[ale] Remix questions

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Sat Jan 30 22:25:36 EST 2010

Well, if your notebook uses a ATI Radion video chip Ubuntu 9.10 could
turn it into a non-functioning brick.   At least that's what transpired
at the Ubuntu 9.10 test-a-thon a couple of months ago with my HP
Pavillion.  The Ubuntu engineers scratched their heads for a while, and
said they'd send me an updated version to try.   Thus far bupkis.

So, the moral is to try to boot via a USB stick or CD if you have one
first, and see if it recognizes all your hardware, or at least the
important stuff like the video card.    Do that BEFORE upgrading.    As
I recall 8.04 Ubuntu recognized the ethernet port but not the wireless,
and 8.10 didn't find either the ethernet port or the wireless on my HP.
9.04 found both.