[ale] a little contract work

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jan 29 12:16:28 EST 2010

On 01/29/2010 09:29 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Bad priorities.  Client likely also too cheap for a new system to
> install onto to have a few seconds of downtime during the change over. I
> have refused to produce such poor quality work in the past (redhat 5.1
> system as main bank transaction server in 2005).
> Good luck!

Amen to that.  I will work for people who want things that are generally
IMHO a bad idea, but I do not negotiate when it comes to working on
systems that are currently supported.  If they won't update the
operating system itself to a supported state, you'd see me updating
piecemeal from sources the rest of the system (which of course would
take longer).

I currently tell people to use Ubuntu Server.  Installs in less than 20
minutes, and support is great.  Quick and simple for just about any
setup, and very easy to work with (and if needed, easy to rebuild
software from upstream sources and integrate it into the system).  For
that matter, most people can install it themselves without help, and
upgrading from one LTS to the next LTS is a supported action (as opposed
to a reinstall).

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                    Blog: http://mike.trausch.us/blog/