[ale] File server syncronization

David Ritchie deritchie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 20:51:20 EST 2010

Oh, BTW :^) one other complication - one of the boxes is HP-UX.
Scratch DRBD (which
would be an ideal approach, as only changed blocks are propagated)...
I may get to tell them
the complications (for example, copying only the first half of a file)
that you can run into.

The prevention of multiple syncs via use of a locking file (don't
start another session if the other is already running) is something I
thought of independently, but thanks for mentioning it...

Unison sounds like it could be a good approach,but I need to set it up
here and play with it (Objective CAML source code? Huh? Oh well,
sounds like another growth experience....).

At least  it does appear that it has already been ported to HP-UX and
obviously Linux... and
it appears to have been carefully thought out and refined over time. I
don't want to reinvent
the wheel here, so it sounds like a good solution to me. Does anyone
actually have
any experience with Unison and is willing to comment on it?

Best regards,
Dave Ritchie