[ale] File server syncronization

scott scott at sboss.net
Wed Jan 27 17:18:12 EST 2010

I wouldnt do a 1 min interval.

you need to know what your change rate is (how many files change how often and average size of the files).

what is your RPO and RTO?  How much data loss and how long to recover.

then run either rsync over ssh (one way sync) or unison over ssh (two way sync).

I would script the process and have it to check to see if another "sync" is going on.  if so, to error out.  You dont want two (or more) rsyncs (or unisons) going on the same filesystem at the same time.  bad things happen. trust me on this one.

using rsync or unison can move any type of file and with the right flags, you can keep permissions, ownerships, acls, etc.

scott