[ale] File server syncronization

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 16:58:08 EST 2010

Agreed. But any process where file synch must occur must have provisions for
bandwidth to support the load.

Realistically a better choice is to look at a distributed filesystem like
GFS and it's cousins or block level processes like DRBD. But again it's
going to eat up bandwidth.

That cron can be tuned to match a better "near realtime" definition. Once a
file is dropped in bucket "A" how long really before it MUST be available to
bucket "B" and what is the hard, real-time transfer latency between those
two point? I've done the cron thing with an rsync process on a 5 minute
interval on a winders system to keep a group of users working files safe
even with power failures. Total PiTA but I made it work (rsync on cygwin
with a samba server backend over a 100Mb ethernet). This also works for
keeping two, distant postgresql servers in hot sync by transporting WAL
files between the two (or more) systems.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>wrote:

> 1 minute cron on  a potentially IO or net bound process sounds flaky
> to me. Sure you can use a lock file scheme, but it just feels like
> your  working on iWheel 2.0
>
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> > cron job on a 1 minute interval does a specific find for mtime -1 and
> > rsynchs those files over
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM, David Ritchie <deritchie at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> ALEers...
> >>
> >> Looking trying to synchronize two file systems on an ongoing basis
> >> (i.e. a distributed file system). Just curious
> >> about your thoughts about things like rsync vs. Unison  or other tools
> >> you have seen...  Need to have files migrate over
> >> semi realtime (i.e. I drop a file in a directory, it should auto
> >> magically appear on a local directory on the remote machine - and
> >> there could be both data files and executable transferred)... Thoughts?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Dave Ritchie
> >

> > --
> > --
> > James P. Kinney III
> > Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

James P. Kinney III