[ale] external hard drive

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Wed Jan 27 11:46:55 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 09:55 -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
> Robert Coggins wrote:
> > Speaking of drives, I just bought a 500 gig portable drive that I will
> > be mostly using with linux and mac.  Sometimes I might connect it to a
> > windows box.  What is the best file system to use so that the drive
> > works between all three?  Right now it is vfat but I am limited to 4 gig
> > files.  I would like to keep some virtuals on it...
> >
> <snipped>
>
> wouldn't this be a case for NTFS?  not a fan of it, but FUSE will allow
> read and write on mac/linux with 3g-ntfs.
>
> i used to use Ext2 on Windows via a plugin, but patching my linux boxes
> was always easier and more reliable.

As a home user, this is exactly what I do (Ubuntu x64 9.10).  I just got
a 1TB USB disk, plugged it in:  Linux sees it just fine as does Windows
7.  Not sure what I would do in a data center (USB drives are good for
manual backus given the size and cost of them.) as I have not actually
had to do that.

--
Damon
damon at damtek.com