[ale] network question

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Sat Jan 23 17:04:56 EST 2010

If by "machine" you mean "desktop", then you're probably not getting
anything out of the 2nd network, as almost all traffic will be going
over the default route, which will be one or the other.  Also, if the
two networks aggregate at any point before the servers (whether
internet/LAN) then you're probably already bottlenecked there.  If these
are full desktops and little work is done on the intranet, than likely a
single 100 Mb connection is sufficient.  If there is a lot of file
server use or other LAN app, or any sort of thin client, then consider
GigE hardware (which has become comparatively cheap these days).

If by "machine" you mean server, there's a whole different set of
interactions that can include security purposes, etc.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE
Moderator, LinuxQuestions.org